Yum

Quest 1: 8-Bit Cookies

I subscribe to Rosanna Pansino on YouTube. She gave a great demonstration on how to make 8-bit cookies. She did a Tetris design and it turned out really neat. Here is link for her episode is here:

So I thought, why not? I can do this. So I went to Target and spent $5 on a new Play-doh Fun Factory and began my quest. . .

Get the Printable Version of this Recipe Here!

I first made sugar cookies. She used a bag mix, but I made them from scratch. It's a basic recipe, nothing special. Here's my recipe:
Sugar Cookies:
2/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups AP flour

Quest: 
Cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and mix to combine. Scrap the bowl. Add milk, baking powder, salt, vanilla. Mix together, then add flour. You know have a basic sugar cookie dough. Here's where the math comes in.

Math Involved in Figuring out the Pixels
I divided up the dough according to the pie chart into Nude, Yellow, Green, Brown & Blue. I used cake frosting food coloring to dye the cookie dough. I used disposable gloves and mixed the dough and dye in my hands.  Wrap each piece of colored dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, I lined cookie sheets with waxed paper. I put the dough one color at a time through the Fun Factory - this is highly therapeutic. Put the dough back in the frig for about 10 minutes.

Using the graph above. start assembling from the bottom up. Take your time and make sure the pixels are aligned. When you have assembled your block, place it in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Slice your cookies into 1/4 inch cookies and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Now this being my first time taking on such a intricate design, I found that I have to be careful with the amount for dividing. For example, I had too much yellow for the shield and not enough brown for Link's head. I also should have used a more contrasting blue color since it doesn't show off the green like I would have liked. This cookie is a little misshapen because it is an end cookie, but it showed the design the best.

I will try again to make these cookies. I think the first time is always a learning process for everyone, so don't get discouraged. Definitely let the dough go back in the fridge before you build. I may not have let mine sit long enough. My husband is a mathematician, so I definitely will get him to help me with dividing the dough next time.

Get the Printable Version of this Recipe Here!


Thank you so much Rosanna Pansino for sharing this idea!



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Created By Sora Templates